Title: Shalom Haver Author: Rotem Shahar Feedback: no, please dont send any. I just needed a way to vent my emotions and this was the result. I really dont care for feedback on this either way. Categories: SAR Keywords: MSR, cancerfic, character death, AU Spoilers: Cancer arc Rated: PG Archive: YES, where ever it might end up is fine as long as the headers stay with it. Summary: Scully's diary entries, then Mulder POV, and a third person POV ending. Disclaimer: None of the characters are mine, they all belong to CC and 1013 and FOX....no infringement is intended... ~*~ ~*~ October 16, 1997 Mulder brings me files and we pretend that everything is fine, that everything is normal. I was transferred out of the hospital and to my mother's house. I'd rather be surrounded by familiar people and objects, not in some sterile hospital room. I can still walk around the house, but it's hard. Every few steps I have to rest and catch my breath, everything I do is in slow, painstaking movements...I wonder sometimes if it would be better to be convicted of a capital crime; at least I'd die by painless injection instead of feeling the cancer eat away at my body and seeing my family in pain. I dont tell anyone about my thoughts, but I'm sure Mulder knows what I'm thinking. ~*~ October 17 It's getting harder and harder to do every day activities that most take for granted. I can no longer wander the halls, nor can I breathe on my own. A respirator was brought in. Writing is becoming harder and harder for me. My hands shake as I write, and I'm afraid that they will not be able to read the letters I am trying to write to them as my final words. ~*~ October 18 They offered a 24 hour hospice in home, and both my mom and Mulder thought it would be a good idea. They're telling me that its ok to be weak, its ok to let go. And that they wont love me any less for it. ~*~ October 19 I feel the life as it drains out of me. There's a steady stream of visitors. Skinner, Langly, Byers, and Frohike; they all come to visit. Some of my friends from college and high school whom I've managed to stay in touch with have also come to visit. They sit and talk, some pray. ~*~ October 20 I can no longer speak. All that comes out is a hoarse, raspy whisper. I've told everyone not to come visit me anymore. I don't have the energy. I only allow my family to see me like this. I better tell mom to call Charlie and Bill. I'd really like to see them once more. ~*~ October 21 Bill and Charlie booked flights as soon as mom called them. They arrived early this morning. Mom tells me that they didn't believe it was actually happening, that it was true. They come in and sit with me, alternating every hour. I guess that's as much as they could take at a time. ~*~ October 22 I've given up on the letters. I can't write more than a few words without needing a break. Mulder stays with me all day now, he doesn't leave my side. ~*~ October 23 I won't let anyone else into the room. More like they knock and if Mulder answers they enter, but if not they leave. He is the only one I want to be with, the only one I want to share my last moments with. ~*~ ~*~ October 24 She can't eat solid foods anymore. I asked Maggie to run out and buy some baby food so she could eat. It's harder for her to drink also. She needs help sitting up, and must rest before she can take a sip of water. ~*~ October 25 Her cries of pain pierce the night. I called the doctor to get him to raise her prescription or to switch her to a more powerful medicine. He switched her onto morphine. With this switch come side effects. The doctor said that she'd be alseep most of the time and when she woke up she probably wouldn't recognize us. ~*~ October 26 Her moans of pain mixed in with pleas for help are almost unbearable. Giving her medicine every four hours is not enough. I need to talk to the nurse about this. I read to her. A few days ago I asked her what she wanted to hear, and imagine my surprise when she asked me to read Harry Potter. I was finally able to get a copy of the books today, and I promptly started reading. We're almost done with the first book already. ~*~ October 27 When the nurse saw the extreme pain Scully is in she doubled the prescription, without the doctor's orders. When the doctor came in to check up on her, he stated that doubling her dosage was rediculous and not recommended. I argued with him long and hard, and finally told him that whether he approves of it or not, I'd be giving her twice his recommended amount. ~*~ October 28 The doctor authorized the doubling of her medication today. My long arguing with him and ignoring his prescription seem to have worked. I would rather her not be in pain and not recognize us than have her in extraordiary amounts of pain that no one should live through and know exactly what is going on. ~*~ October 29 She sleeps all day now. I still read to her. If I didn't I'd feel as though I were letting her down. Not fulfilling my obligations towards her. ~*~ October 30 Scully's feeling a bit better, she can breathe on her own again. She asked to be taken off of the respirator. I can only hope that this is the start of a gradual increase in health, but I'm not optimistic. She's stopped eating. Before, she at least ate a few spoons full. Now she doesn't eat a thing. ~*~ ~*~ October 31 "Promise me," Scully said, drawing in her last breaths of air, "Promise me that you'll keep fighting." "I promise." Mulder whispered. Satisfied with his answer, she slipped away in his arms. And as the silent tears rolled down his cheeks, he knew he had to keep his promise. ~*~ ~*~ The End.