Title: Road to Recovery Author: Rotem Shahar Feedback: LaughsR@prodigy.net Rating: PG Category: SA Keywords: Friendship Spoilers: none Summary: Skinner gets sick and Mulder and Scully take care of him. Disclaimer: The characters from The X-Files are not mine. They belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and FOX. No money is being made and no infringement is intended. Notes: I wrote this over the weekend for everyone who didn't feel well, but especially for Peggy. Enjoy. Timeline: Takes place after Avatar. ~~~~ Skinner coughed as he dismissed the agents. "Are you okay, sir?" Scully asked, concerned for her AD's health. "Yes," he snapped as another fit of coughs engulfed him. "Are you sure?" she prodded. "I'm fine, Agent Scully," Skinner growled. She nodded, not believing him, but unable to do anything to help him. Mulder touched her arm and she turned; the pair walking out of the office and to the basement in silence. ~~~~ Scully sighed and Mulder looked at her questioningly, waiting for her to speak. "I'm worried about Skinner," Scully finally stated. "He's sick," Mulder agreed as he threw his pen down, giving up on getting any work done. They sat in silence for a moment. "Mulder? When was the last time we saw Skinner sick?" she asked, unable to come up with an answer. Mulder shrugged, not having an answer either. He stood. "Come on." Scully got up. "Where are we going?" Mulder's hand reached for Scully's back as he ushered her out of the room. "To see Skinner." ~~~~ As they neared the AD's office they could hear his heavy coughs. "Go home, sir," Scully told him as they entered. "You're not doing anyone any good by being here, infecting everyone who sets foot in this office, not getting anything done." Mulder walked behind Skinner's desk and gathered his things. "Let's go," he stated as he walked towards the door. Skinner coughed again and cleared his throat, but didn't bother to argue. He knew they were right. Rest. He needed rest. His chest rumbled as he coughed, each cough sounding worse than its predecessor. When the coughing ceased he got up. At least, he attempted to. He grunted and sat back down, hands coming up to massage his temples. Mulder walked over to Skinner and helped him stand and steady himself. They made their way out of Skinner's office, Scully in the lead and Mulder in the rear, both making sure Skinner was okay. ~~~~ "Keys?" Mulder asked as they approached Skinner's car. "I can drive," Skinner argued. "No, you can't," Scully interjected, holding her hand out for the keys. He sighed and handed her the keys. Mulder handed Scully his car keys as Scully handed him Skinner's. They'd come into work together that morning; Scully's car had broken down. Skinner watched their little interaction as Mulder waggled his eyebrows and Scully rolled her eyes at him as she turned and walked away. Mulder slipped into the driver's seat and Skinner into the passenger seat and they drove to Skinner's apartment. Not two minutes into their drive Skinner fell asleep, forehead propped up against the window. ~~~~ Scully entered the supermarket and grabbed a basket. She rushed through the aisles, quickly locating the orange juice and flu medicine. As she entered the soup aisle she stopped and looked at her choices. So many of them! Finally, she grabbed three cans of soup and hurried to the express lane. ~~~~ Mulder pulled into the parking lot and turned the car off. He looked over at Skinner, who was still sleeping. Mulder sighed, not wanting to wake him, but needing to. "Hey, wake up. I can't carry you to your apartment," Mulder said as he tapped Skinner. Slowly, Skinner opened his eyes and yawned, coughing as he exhaled. "I feel like hell," Skinner stated as he squinted against the sun. "Scully will be here soon to fix that, but 'till then, we need to get you inside and into bed," Mulder told Skinner as he unbuckled his seat belt and opened the car door and Skinner did the same. ~~~~ Scully arrived twelve minutes later at Skinner's apartment. "How's he doing?" she asked Mulder as she entered the kitchen where Mulder was boiling water. "He has a fever, he's still coughing. Threw up a few minutes ago," Mulder stated. "Hopefully he'll feel better soon," he finished, the concern and worry evident in his voice. Scully nodded as she pulled the medicine out of the bag and handed it to Mulder. He filled a cup with water and went to deliver it to Skinner as Scully heated the soup. Mulder reentered the kitchen and poured two cups of coffee, handing one to Scully. She nodded in gratitude. ~~~~ As Scully checked on Skinner, Mulder stirred the soup and poured a glass of orange juice. "He's feeling a bit better. The medicine must be kicking in," she told him upon returning from Skinner's room. Mulder poured the soup into a bowl and Scully took the glass of orange juice to Skinner, forcing him to eat and drink. "If you need anything, we'll be in the living room," Scully told Skinner as Mulder took the empty bowl and cup into the kitchen. Skinner nodded and Scully left the room, settling on the couch next to Mulder. Her head rested on his shoulder and his arm wrapped around her. They both drifted off to sleep, resting peacefully until Skinner woke up. With their care and friendship, he was on the road to recovery. ~~~~ The End.