Title: The Quarry Author: Rotem Shahar Feedback: LaughsR@prodigy.net Rating: PG Category: SAR Keywords: Alternate Ending for Trust No1, MSR Spoilers: Trust No1 Summary: What if Mulder had gotten off the train? Disclaimer: The characters from The X-Files are not mine. They belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and FOX. No money is being made and no infringement is intended. Notes: I wrote this when Trust No1 first aired? I'm just a bit behind on typing up my fics! I love the transcripts site. It's an awesome resource. ~~~~ The train pulled to a complete stop and the doors opened. Passengers exited the train and Scully looked around, hoping to find Mulder. As the people trickled off the train, Scully's hopes diminished. She hadn't seen Mulder yet. He hadn't gotten off the train. Still, she waited. The conductor announced one last time that this was the stop, and they were about to move on. The train doors started to close. Scully dropped her head and turned around, ready to leave. The doors of the train pushed open, and a man jumped out as the train prepared to leave the station. "Scully!" he yelled as he spotted a mass of red hear drifting farther and farther away from him. "Mulder?" she asked as she whipped around, searching for the source of the voice. "Scully!" he yelled again, as he made his way through the crowd, inching closer to her. She turned in circles, trying to find him. "Scully," he said, coming up behind her, placing a hand on her arm. She jumped at his touch, launching herself into his arms. "It's not safe here," he whispered as he planted soft kisses all over her face. Gunshots rang out and Mulder and Scully dove to the ground. A man was laying on the floor, dead. The Shadow Man looked around, quickly spotting Mulder and Scully. Wordlessly, they got up and sprinted to the car. "Go to the quarry," Mulder told her as he caught his breath. "Why?" Scully asked, following his instructions. "It's the only thing that can stop them." Mulder took one of Scully's hands off the steering wheel and held it in his own. He kissed her knuckles and then the palm of her hand. She squeezed his hand, taking comfort in his presence. Scully repeatedly checked the rearview mirror, watching as The Shadow Man stole a car and chased after them. ~~~~ They arrived at the quarry and rushed out of the car, running on the dirt road through the trees, The Shadow Man still following them. Pausing at a steep downward slope, they caught their breath and continued, carefully climbing down, avoiding the protruding rocks that threatened to trip them. Still, The Shadow Man followed close behind. Scully wobbled, trying to keep her balance, grabbing onto a rock before she fell. Mulder wasn't as lucky. He tumbled down the hill, bouncing off the rocks as he landed. She gasped in horror as she saw some of the rocks he'd landed on. Picking up her pace, she hurried down the slope, needing to tend to Mulder. When she made it off the slope, Mulder was already struggling to get up. "I'm fine, Scully," he told her before she could say anything. "We need to keep going." "Mulder, you might be seriously injured!" she protested. "Let me take a look at you." "When we're safe, Scully." He grabbed her hand and pulled her along, limping until they reached their destination. ~~~~ They ran through the idle plant machinery until they reached a wall. There was nowhere else to run. Both Mulder and Scully draw their guns as The Shadow Man appeared in front of them. "Stop there! Stop right there! Why do you want to kill us?!" Scully shouted. The Shadow Man continued walking as he answered. "Mulder must die. Mulder or your son." Mulder and Scully looked at each other. "What are you talking about? What does this have to do with my son? What's wrong with my son?! Answer me!" The Shadow Man suddenly stopped in front of them, a pained expression coming across his face. His body went rigid as he looked around at the rocks surrounding him. Mulder and Scully watched in horror and fascination. Suddenly, he started shaking, dropping to his knees. Scully held her gun on him as Mulder put his away, neither of them sure of what was happening. They continued watching as the shadow man dropped onto his chest and struggled back up. His skin was completely blackened. Without warning, The Shadow Man was in the air, being pulled towards the rocks. Mulder pushed Scully down onto the floor, taking care not to injure either of them. He flew over them at high speed, hitting the wall and exploding into dust. The two lay on the ground for a few moments, trying to process what had just happened. "How did you know to come here?" Scully asked. "It's one of the few things I've found out since I've left. I didn't know exactly what would happen, just that it's the only thing that can stop them." Scully seemed satisfied with his answer and stood up. Mulder did the same and they brushed each other off. Quietly, she checked Mulder over for any broken bones. Luckily, she only found a few bruises. Together, they left the quarry, and together they made their way back home. ~~~~ The End.