Title: Life Altering Author: Rotem Shahar Feedback: LaughsR@prodigy.net Rating: PG Category: VAR Keywords: Pre-Episode Fic, Trepkos/Jesse Romance Spoilers: Firewalker Summary: Trepkos convinces Jesse to go with him. Disclaimer: The characters from The X-Files are not mine. They belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and FOX. No money is being made and no infringement is intended. Notes: Written for the After_the_Fact Firewalker Challenge. ~~~~ "I'm going on an expedition," Daniel Trepkos told Jesse O'Neil, his eyes gleaming. "For how long?" she wondered - his expeditions ranged from a few days to a few years. "About a year," he told her, sparks flying from his eyes. "Oh." Jesse's face fell. She wouldn't see him or hear from him for a year. "Okay," she said, not knowing what else to say. Turning, she took a few steps towards the door and paused, wanting to tell him not to go; how much she'd miss him. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned back around. "Do you want to come?" he asked nervously, his eyes shifting colors. For a split second she actually considered it. Then logic and reason quickly defeated her heart. She had a thesis paper to write. She had classes to attend, and as interesting and intriguing his stories were, she wasn't sure she was up to it. "No, I can't," Jesse told him, shrugging his hand off her shoulder, hoping he'd be able to convince her otherwise. She continued her trek towards the door, but Trepkos stopped her again. "Adventure, excitement, getting away from this godforsaken place," he trailed off. "Come with me." "Daniel, I can't," she pleaded, trying to convince them both. "I have classes, my thesis..." she rationalized. "I can help you with your thesis, I've been helping you with your thesis. This will be good for it; you'll have raw data. Classes are almost over; I'll talk to your professors. I'll make sure everything works out," he retorted. "I can't," she said weakly, her excuses running out. "What more could you want?" Trepkos asked. They stood in uncomfortable silence for a few minutes, each gathering their thoughts, collecting their emotions. "It'll change your life," Trepkos whispered in her ear. He turned and walked away, not waiting for her to answer. Jesse ran after him. "Okay, I'll go," she said as she grabbed his arm. He spun around and kissed her quickly on the lips. "Great, we leave Saturday morning," he said as he rushed out of the room, leaving Jesse standing there, wondering what she had just gotten herself into. ~~~~ The End.