Title: All Lies Lead to the Truth Author: Rotem Shahar Feedback: LaughsR@prodigy.net Rating: PG-13 Category: VA Keywords: Missing Scene, UST Spoilers: Redux Summary: "A lie to find the truth." Disclaimer: The characters from The X-Files are not mine. They belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and FOX. No money is being made and no infringement is intended. Notes: For the After_the_Fact Redux Challenge ~~~~ Mulder and Scully walked into the dining room. Mulder switched on the light and Scully sat at the table. "This man, Ostelhoff, was set up in the apartment directly above mine. I caught him trying to destroy phone records on which the same number was called 17 times." Mulder handed Scully a phone log. "This is a PBX operator at the Bureau," She stated. "Yeah," he confirmed. "Who would he be calling at the FBI?" "I don't know." Mulder shrugged. "Mulder, how long has this been going on?" "Maybe since the beginning, since you joined me on the X-Files," he told her reluctantly. "That would mean that for 4 years we've been nothing more than pawns in a game, that it was a lie from the beginning. Mulder, these men... You give them your faith and you're supposed to trust them with your life." Scully stated incredulously. Mulder knelt down beside her. "There are those who can be trusted. What I need to know is who among them is not. I will not allow this treason to prosper, not if they've done this to you." "Mulder, we can't go to the Bureau making these accusations," she reasonably stated. "No, but as they lie to us, we can lie to them. A lie to find the truth." ~~~~ They walked out of the dining room and into the living room, settling on the couch. "I assume you have a plan?" Scully asked. Mulder nodded; Scully waited for him to explain. "The man, Ostelhoff, died from a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. His face was blown off. He can only be positively identified by fingerprinting or a dental match." Scully nodded, unsure of where he was going. Mulder watched Scully carefully as he spoke, gauging her reaction. "You'll get a phone call sometime early this morning asking you to identify a body." Scully gasped. "Mulder," she whispered. He took her hand in his and gave it a squeeze in reassurance. "I'll put these clothes on him," Mulder continued, gesturing to the clothing he was wearing, "and I'll call the police anonymously, stating there were gunshots fired at my apartment." "Mulder," Scully tried again. "All you have to do is give a positive ID," Mulder finished. "Mulder, I can't." "Scully, you have to. It's the only way we'll find the truth." Scully exhaled, pushing a strand of hair away from her face. "I can't." "Scully, I need you to do this," he implored. Scully stood up, unsure of what she was doing. She turned and walked towards the window. Mulder followed. "Look at me," he stated, gently turning Scully to face him. He could see the tears forming in her eyes. "Scully," he whispered. "You can do this. You have to do this. I need you to do this. Not just for me, but for yourself, for your family. I'll find a cure." Scully sniffled and nodded. She'd do it. Mulder exhaled in relief. He pulled her towards him, his arms encircling hers. He kissed her forehead as he rubbed his hands up and down her back in comfort. "It'll be okay," he whispered over and over again, offering her what little comfort he could. ~~~~ The End.