Title: Calling Family Author: Rotem Shahar Feedback: LaughsR@prodigy.net Rating: PG Category: VA Keywords: Missing Scene Spoilers: Gethsemane Summary: What happened after Scully was pushed down the stairs? Disclaimer: The characters of The X-Files are not mine. They belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions, and FOX. No money is being made off of these characters and no infringement is intended. Notes: I was asking Cathey what I could write for the After_the_Fact Gethsemane challenge and she gave me this idea. Thanks to Tasa for the title. *~* "Goddamn elevator," Andrea mumbled as she headed towards the stairwell. Her shift had just ended and she was ready to leave. Andrea made her way down the stairs, humming tunelessly to herself. She stopped short when she saw a figure lying on the floor, clutching their arm. Andrea sprang into action. She rushed towards the figure, seeing the face contort with pain. "What happened?" Andrea asked, slipping back into nurse mode. Scully moaned. "Pushed down the stairs," she hissed in pain. "Can you get up?" Scully shook her head, trying to clear the cobwebs that had formed. "I think so," Scully said, slowly sitting up. "Come on, let's get you looked at." Andrea said, helping Scully up the flight of stairs. Scully tried to tell her she's a doctor, that she didn't need medical attention, but the nurse wouldn't listen. Andrea left Scully in a small room, promising that the doctor would come see her shortly. *~* "Nothing's broken, though you'll have a big bruise on your arm, and a bruise has already formed on your face, but that should fade quickly. The scrapes on your back should heal nicely. You'll be back to normal in no time," the doctor told her an hour and thirteen minutes later. She'd been x-rayed and examined, all the while insisting that she was fine and didn't need medical attention. The doctor and nurses ignored her complaints and kept right on working. "Thanks," Scully told the doctor, indicating the end of the conversation. He got the idea and said goodbye and exited the room. Scully rolled her eyes. She hadn't needed a doctor to tell her she was going to have a black and blue mark on her arm. It didn't take a doctor to figure that out. Andrea entered the room a few moments later. "I took the liberty of calling your family. Someone should be here soon." Scully quizzically looked at the young nurse. "Thank you." Andrea nodded and left Scully to herself. *~* Fifteen minutes later... "Dana?" Bill asked. "Bill. What are you doing here?" "I picked up the phone when you called Mom's. They said you could use a change of clothes," Bill replied as he handed her a blouse. "Thank you. Um. Where's Mom?" Scully wondered aloud. "I didn't tell Mom what happened. So, what did happen?" Bill told her, looking down at the floor. "I was ... ahhh ... knocked down a flight of stairs, but I'm okay, luckily," Scully shrugged. "You're not okay, Dana. I know about your cancer," his implication understood. He was upset over not being told; about this being kept a secret from him. "I told Mom not to tell you," she sighed. "Why?" Bill implored. "Because it's very personal... Because I don't want sympathy," Scully replied honestly. "You think you can cure yourself. Mom tells me that you've gotten worse, that your cancer's gone into your bloodstream. What are you doing at work, gettin' knocked down, beaten up? What are you trying to prove? That you're gonna go out fighting?!" Bill intoned angrily. "Oh, now come on, Bill..." Scully said, trying to pacify him. "Do you know what Mom's going through? Why do you think I didn't tell her when they called?" Bill angrily sated. "What should I be doing?!" Scully asked, exasperated. "We have a responsibility! Not just to ourselves, but to the people in our lives!" her brother shouted at her. "Hey, look, just because I haven't bared my soul to you, or to Father McCue, or to God, it doesn't mean that I'm not responsible to what's important to me!" Scully growled at him. "To what?! To who? This guy, Mulder? Well where is he, Dana? Where is he through all this?" Scully silently took the clothing from Bill. "Thank you for coming," Scully said as she walked into the bathroom to change, effectively ending the conversation. "Dana-" Bill then tried to reason, but to no avail. He sighed and went to wait outside. When Scully exited the room a few minutes later, Bill was still waiting for her. "Why are you still here?" Scully questioned. "I'm taking you to mom's," Bill told her, as though stating the obvious. "Bill, I'm not going. I have something I need to do," she told him, walking past him. He ran up to her and grabbed her arm. She gasped in pain. "Sorry," Bill said, quickly letting go of her. "Bill, I'll meet you at mom's for dinner," Scully insisted as she turned around and walked towards the elevator. "Dana. You're going to see him now aren't you?" Bill asked, venom creeping into his voice. "No, I was actually going to go to the crime lab and see if I could get an ID for the man who pushed me down the stairs," she told him in a clipped tone. "I'll see you at dinner," Scully said as the elevator dinged, signaling its arrival. She got on the elevator leaving Bill standing in the hallway, watching her disappear as the doors closed. *~* The End.